Friday 29 February 2008

On Creative Commons

I have used resources that were licensed under Creative Commons in the past. I think they do a good job telling you exactly what you can do with a piece of work. This is particularly important for a Children's Librarian as we are constantly looking for craft sheets, stories, rhymes, activities etc.
Often it is tempting to justify illegal use... We're pretty close to being an educational institution... Storytime is basically about education... What are the odds of anyone suing a public library? I can probably come up with a dozen more excuses I've heard for breaching copyright. And this doesn't even include the times when copyright wasn't very clear.
The process of asking for permission can be difficult. It can be hard to determine who actually owns a piece of work. Contacting the person can also present problems.
I hope more material is licensed under Creative Commons in the future. It certainly makes my life easier.
There is a good video explaining Creative Commons available at http://support.creativecommons.org/videos#gc

No comments: