Saturday 23 February 2008

On getting left behind

My husband and I spent some time discussing Web 2.o over lunch. He's in IT and always seems light-years ahead of me so I was interested in his take on the subject. We often seem to come from very different places. He's talking about twitter and Popfly while our problems are mainly keeping an aging fleet of computers vaguely operational.
While we're struggling to provide decent access to the masses he's free to ponder the wider implications of digital identitity. Sometimes it feels like we're in serious danger of being left behind. We discussed the concept of a digital divide. I was interested to learn whether anyone in the computer world was interested in the growing number of people lost in a world where technology is king.
I guess all great inventions have left people behind. Non-readers didn't care for Mr Gutenberg's crazy invention and what was Mr Ford doing for people who couldn't drive a motor car? These inventions which seem to commonplace now were once bewildering for the masses too.
I feel sorry for those who are forced into Cyberspace by organisations who find it marvellously convenient to provide information via the Internet without offering any training or support. There are several Govenment departments I point my finger at. I find the RTA particulary annoying. They have a practice test available via the Internet. Do they provide computers for people who would like try this product? No, in fact they suggest their customers come to the library to use our computers for hours on end. If I had a dollar for every person who was 'referred' by the RTA I would be a very rich woman! And don't get me started on the Inmmigration Department... So ends my rant...
But seriously who is worrying about the people who are being left behind? Technology seems to be moving so fast - I feel in danger of being left behind let alone a newly arrived refugee with limited language skills.
I guess all we can do is keep our knowledge up to date and do our best to share it with those we come into contact with.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Hi! I totally agree with your post. I'm a recent graduate from a postgraduate diploma in information management in UTS and a constant theme throughout the program was the problem known as the digital divide. It's obvious that the digital divide will never be resolved, as progress in technology will always exceed a minority community's ability to afford such commodities. Good luck in the Library 2.0 my blog is also going good (i think) http://medessa.blogspot.com

Elaine