Wednesday 21 May 2008

On Social Networking...

I'm having such a good time with Facebook! I've caught up with friends and people I never really liked that much anyway... But how would I use it for work?
We're struggling with this now. The vital questions are: Are we providing a static link and encouraging our customers to use and participate in the community? Or, are we metaphorically hammering our stake in and sectioning off a little corner that is Liverpool City Library?
If so, who is responsible for the content, upkeep and overall look? There is a immediacy to these sites which is almost scary. I assume all libraries would want to keep a modicum of editorial control - how is this possible? How does my manager ensure that everything I say about Liverpool City Library is something he, the Council and everyone would agree with?
In a climate where staff cannot talk to local media and all information must be routed through Marketing people and Publicity teams?
It seems to me this requires more trust in individuals than we have had up to now.
Then I think about what customers might add!
I can see more applications for creating groups of people. Maybe a group of our, for example, romance readers might like to get together using a tool like Second Life or Facebook? Perhaps we could be the ones who facilitate these groups in the beginning before pulling back and letting the group exist in it's own right.
Once again having a population which has low computer ownership and usage is a bit frustrating. I suspect haing to use public computers is a hinderance to using many of these geat tools.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Congratulations on completing the course, I hope you have enjoyed it.Thanks for sharing your thoughts along the way.

Leanne