Thursday 17 April 2008

On Answer Boards

I think it cool that there are librarians out there who want to answer peoples online questions. Thats not what I'm about though - and I expect a lot of my colleagues would agree.
I'm not currently standing at a desk solely to answer questions. I'm here to teach people how to find answers themselves. I'm here to teach some of what I know to our customers. It's like that fish thing... You know teach a person to fish blah, blah, blah.
Sure a librarian is uniquely placed to answer questions well. Let's face it we're the only ones who understand Dewey! We're one of the few groups who really understand the shortcoming of the Internet and usually have better search skills than the average person.
What makes us different is what we can teach others:
Don't trust the Net; look at indexes; read blurbs and the toilets on the bottom floor of the library! Yep, knowledge is power.

No comments: