Thursday 17 April 2008

On Podcasting

My husband is dedicated podcast listener. He travels by train to work. So he's a bit of a captive audience. I'm not sure I really get it. I like to listen to the radio and when I get sick of that I borrow a book on CD to listen to.
I don't understand why anyone would want to listen to or watch amateur programming. I think of the money spent to produce professional radio and wonder how anyone could do any better. I like the idea of anyone being able to produce material. But I'm not sure I want to personally listen to it.
We have discussed recording some nursery rhymes for our customers. We have a large multicultural community who come from all areas of the world. Sometimes mothers ask us to write down the words for our Storytime rhymes as their children want to hear them at home. We were going to add them to our website and make them available for download. Unfortunately, we have been unable to record with any clarity of sound.
It has been interesting to listen to other libraries podcasts - I'm just not convinced that we need to make our own.
It's kind of funny actually. Now my husband is over podcasts and has started to listen to books. Of course he downloads them off the Net. Not for him the the daggy low tech approach of borrowing some tapes or CD's from the library!

No comments: